Renting Guide

Your guide to renting a property with Gibson Honey

Decide on your requirements

Think about the type and size of property you are looking for, how many bedrooms you need, whether or not you need any outside space, or additional storage; a garage for example. Do you need a furnished or unfurnished property? Consider transport links, distance and route to work and what nearby facilities are important to you.

Set your Budget

When working out your budget, take into account the additional costs when renting. Usually the landlord covers the cost of most repairs and maintenance at the property. The tenant is responsible for the cost of all utilities (gas, electricity, water, telephone and broadband) , the Council Tax and the Television Licence. The landlord will be responsible for insuring the property, but it is important to know that your belongings will not be covered by the landlord’s insurance, so you will need to arrange your own cover for this. It is also a good idea to take out cover for any accidental damage to the landlord’s contents, for which you are responsible.

Start your Search

Most landlords are looking for tenants who can move in between 2 and 8 weeks, so this is generally the best time to start looking.  Use our Property Alerts/Beat the Market facility to register your requirements online.  Alternatively telephone or pop into see us to discuss your requirements in more detail.

We will start looking for a property for you straight away and arrange for you to view the properties that are of interest to you.

Application to Rent

Once you have seen a property you like, we will put your interest forward to the landlord. We will at this stage find out a little more about you, your circumstances and your requirements.

Let Agreed

Once terms have been agreed, we will start the referencing process. There will be a holding deposit to pay at this stage and fees for the referencing. See Fees & Terms.

Each adult will need to complete a credit search application, provide copies of their last three months’ bank statements and provide further information, including details of their current/recent employment and current landlord/letting agent (where applicable).

We will need to see photo identification (current passport or driving licence) and proof of address for each adult and we will also need to see and check Visa’s if required.

If a Guarantor is required for your tenancy, then the same information and referencing requirements will apply.

Tenancy Agreements

Once your referencing application is complete, we will arrange for the Tenancy Agreement to be signed. This document confirms the terms of the tenancy; eg the minimum term, rent, landlords and tenant’s obligations and any specifics that have been agreed for your tenancy.

Move In

Before you move in, you will need to pay your first months’ rent, administration fees and Security Deposit.  See Fees & Terms.

On the move in day, you will pick up the keys for your new home, usually from the inventory clerk, who will meet you at the property and check through the property with you.

During the Tenancy

We will provide you with the details of where to pay your rent and who to contact should you have any queries or maintenance issues while you are at the property.

Your Security Deposit will usually be held by Gibson Honey and this will be registered with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.  For further information, see What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Gibson Honey are registered with the following regulatory bodies:

Our membership of these associations gives tenants peace of mind that we are working to the highest standards in the Industry and providing high levels of professionalism and commitment to customer service. Crucially, this means that deposits that we hold are fully protected and any disputes about the return are resolved swiftly and impartially.

All calls made to Gibson Honey are recorded for training and monitoring purposes.